Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Some people vex me

I had to write the principal at Mackenzie's school today, because I thought a teacher was being unreasonable. Here is my note:

Mr. Sieger,

I spoke to Mr. Lewis today regarding the fact that Mackenzie will be unable to attend the 8th grade dance as part of her requirements as a 7th grade ASB representative. Mr. Lewis informed me that he is lowering her scholastic grade from an A to an A- and her citizenship grade from an O to an S, simply because she will be unable to attend and assist with the dance.

Mackenzie currently play’s on a travel softball team (American Athletics 14U – Ordos). This team plays year round and competes at a State and National level. Needless to say there is a significant financial and time commitment on our part for her to play on this team. This weekend is the State Championship for ASA softball, the governing body over softball. We found out on Sunday that we drew a Friday (6/9/2006) 5:00pm game, in Menifee (near Hemet). Obviously this is in conflict with the 8th grade dance.

I asked Mackenzie to talk to Mr. Lewis regarding the situation and ask to be excused from attending dance, to which he replied that he would be lowering both of her grades. Lowering of the academic grade, I understand – I don’t agree, but I understand. I do not understand lowering her citizenship grade. Her not attending the dance has nothing to do with any of the pillars of character, by witch it was my understanding that citizenship is graded on. How is it possible that a student that has numerous Superintendent awards and citizenship awards can take a hit because she is not attending an after school event? Mackenzie has continually exhibited leadership qualities, gives whenever she can, and is by all accounts and excellent student.

Mackenzie had to weigh putting the needs of others who rely on her with putting the needs of others who do not rely on her. While she has made a commitment to ASB, she has made a bonding commitment to her team, a group of girls that she has been playing softball with since she was six and will continue to play softball with after 7th grade. The girls on her team, a number of them 8th graders, are missing their dance. They are not being penalized with a lower grade, but rather losing something more valuable, a memory.

I have to admire her decision making skills and moral judgment. If Mackenzie does not display the moral character we want to promote, then I am not sure what moral character is.

Mr. Lewis has placed Mackenzie in a no win situation. Because of this event, she is seriously considering not continuing with ASB next year. I think this would detriment to her, the school, and the student body.

I am writing you in hopes that you may be able to help persuade Mr. Lewis in reassessing his stance on this subject.

Sincerely,

Ken Nelson

2 comments:

Cis said...

and the update is?

Cis said...

Update?