Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Update - Some People Vex Me

So here is the update on my previous post (some people vex me). In short, I win! The teacher backed off the lowering of Mackenzie's citizenship grade. However he is still lowering her scholastic grade from an A to an A-. By giving the instructor a compromise, I was able to at least continue Mac's record of outstanding citizenzhip. And an A is an A, even if it is an A-, whatever...
But wait there is more. So this dance that Mackenzie was missing had props. Mackenzie volunteered to build the Eiffel Tower from a kit, it stop 16 feet tall and was 8x8 feet at the base. This meant that Mackenzie voluntered dad to put together the eiffel tower.
So here is another example of the genius' we are dealling with. The kit came in three boxes. They told Mackenzie to take it home, assemble it in to three pieces and bring those pieces back for final assembly the day of the dance. OK, so how am I suppose to transport a 16 foot cardboard towere even if it is three pieces. Needless to say, there where issues.
One thing I noticed right off the bat was the lack of stability. This thing was going to be around a bunch of eighth grade students, last thing I want was for this thing to come crashing down on their heads.
So day of the dance, I take off work because I had to put together this monster by 1:00 so we could leave for the games by 1:30. I drop the kids off at school, and head to Lowes to get some supplies... some wood to tack to the structure to add stability -$50 later... I head back to school. Outside of the assembly room, I cut the 1 3/4 x 1/2 strips of wood into 4 foot strips and start painting them black. Once that is done, I come in and find Mr. Lewis directing kids in assembling the tower -WAIT!
So that stops and they move on to something else and Mackenzie and I continue with my plan. Part of the instructions call for using duct tape to attach pieces of card baord together. While other parts are attached by double sided adhesive tape. Obviously the rocket scientists that designed this POS were not concerned with any structural integrity. So once I stabilize the base we move on tho assembling the other sections. Before long things are looking good, except, the tower is 16 feet high, and the ceiling of the assembly room is only about 13 feet high. Time for customization. I take a foot from this section, another foot from another section, still another foot from yet another section.
We move the base into position, away from where the kids will be dancing. Start attaching the various sections, and then add the light fixtures, all 9 of them, to eluminate the tower. Powerstrips, we need power. I get some power strips from the custodian, and finally we are done. Appearently it was hit.
After all this I come to find out from the mom that organized the event, that Mackenzie was the only ASB member willing to step up and tackle the tower. There is no way a kid could have built this tower on there own, or even as a group. Parent involvement was mandatory on this one.
Anyway we finish around 1:10, once I add a strand of X-mas lights to the structure, at the request of the "mom".
Upon leaving, Mr. Lewis thanks me for the help in putting things together. He did not realize the amount of time and involvement required to put something this large together. He also said, he would be doing something nice for me for my help. I am thinking - leave my kids grade alone... instead I got a Starbucks gift card.

1 comment:

Cis said...

It is sad to see that some teachers still do not get what education is all about. I mean really...since when is a single school dance worth .25 of a grade point? You should have just said that all you want is your childs grade to reflect her work. Apparently though we are the only ones her view her effort as an A+. I must add that my neice is becoming an amazing young woman and I am extremely proud of her.